Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How it all works

As a mom who has dealt with this for 8 years, I tend to assume that people  know the lingo associated with cochlear implants and that is simply not true.  So this post is to describe as best I can the terms I use in these posts.  

Implant - the internal device that is put underneath the skin and funneled through the cochlea.  

Processor - the external part that sits on the ear and has a coil that has a magnet on the end.  This magnet attaches to the internal implant magnet.
Remote - This is an AMAZING new technology that allows the parent/patient to control many settings and options by the touch of a button.  Especially helpful with kids, it has an alarm that tells me when Jeslyn takes her processor off, so that I can get it put back on!


Here is a wonderful picture that shows how it fits inside and out.


2 comments:

  1. Wow Karissa, thanks for posting the parts and explaining some of the lingo.....helps to keep up with you. By the way, Jeslyn's photo at the top just brings a smile to my face, she is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete