Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Staph infection might delay surgery #2

So, Jeslyn's been fighting some type of health issue ever since surgery.  The staph they found in her ear was staph warneri.  Apparently this is a pretty abnormal staph to find in that area.  Dr. Arriaga put her on 14 days of Augmentin.  That completely upset her stomach and caused a terrible yeast rash on her bottom.  

Four days after she finished the Augmentin, she got strep and was put on Clindamycin.  Clindamycin should have covered the strep as well as any residual staph infection. Again, the upset stomach and yeast rash was in full swing.


Four days after finishing the Clindamycin, the VERY TINY scrape on her knee started to get bigger and turn red.  She then woke up on Saturday with blister patches on her leg.  We ended up at Urgent Care and we were told she has a staph infection.  Apparently, it is a staph that is resistant to Clindamycin, because it grew in spite of her taking it. 

The urgent care doc prescribed Bactrim and we started that Saturday.  By today (Tuesday), she had a couple of new blisters which tells me the Bactrim is also not working.

We headed to her pediatrician today.  He decided that we should consult dermatology (he's not sure if it's a combination of bacterial and viral) and if they determined that it is a staph that is resistant, we would most likely be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics.  Otherwise, we will create a new plan of care. 


I am so frustrated for her.  My poor sweet pea has been on antibiotics for almost 8 weeks now.  I pray that the dermatologist can give us a clear answer and we can avoid the hospital and still have her second surgery on July 2nd!


I'll post pictures tomorrow, but it looks so bad!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment